Need help? We are available to speak to you 7 days a weekRead More

Covid 408 visas are expiring now - learn more about your options here.

Need help? Our lawyers and migration agents are available 7 days a week to assist.

0800 010 010
Open 7 days
1300 150 745

Family visas

Take the first step in your Australian Family visa application process

Family visas allow family members of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen to migrate to Australia to live, work, study or care for a family member in Australia. A family visa is an attractive visa option as most subclasses provide a pathway to permanent residency and citizenship.

Claim your consultation

Tell us about your situation, and we will get back to you shortly.

Disclaimer copy

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.

The Australian Migration Lawyers difference

Types of family visas

There are various types of Family visas that are obtainable from the Australian Department of Home Affairs. Depending on individual circumstances, different visa types will apply. Family visas consists of the following subclasses:

Adoption Visa 102

The Adoption Visa (Subclass 102) allows children adopted outside Australia to live in Australia with their adoptive parents. It's available where the child has already been adopted or is in the process of being adopted.

Aged Dependent Relative Visa 114/838

The Aged Dependent Relative visa is a permanent visa that lets a single older person, who relies on a relative living in Australia for financial support, move to Australia permanently. The subclasses refer to onshore and offshore applications and grants.

Carer Visa 116/836

The Carer Visa is a permanent visa that lets you remain within Australia to care for someone with a long-term medical condition. The difference between the subclasses relates to whether the applicant is inside or outside Australia while lodging the application and when the visa is granted.

Child Visa 101 & 802

The Child visa subclasses allow for children to stay in Australia permanently and live with their parents. The 802 visa is applicable if the child is in Australia, while 101 visa is applied when the child is outside of Australia.

New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship Visa (Subclass 461)

This visa subclass is designed for individuals who are not New Zealand citizens but are part of a family unit with a New Zealand citizen. This visa allows you to reside and work in Australia for a duration of five years.

Remaining Relative Visa 115

The Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) allows someone outside Australia whose only near relatives are living in Australia to stay in Australia as a permanent resident.

Visa application process

Applying for a visa to Australia can be complex. With help from an Australian Migration Lawyer, we can untangle this complexity, and help you apply for the right visa.

1. Consultation and engagement

2. Preparation and support

3. Submission and communication

4. Representation and success

Book consultation

Benefits of using an Australian Migration Lawyer for your Parent visa

The Australian Migration Lawyers team is composed of experienced lawyers well-versed in migration legislation and policies which are subject to constant changes. We maintain a high rate of success in handling family visas and other primary applications, even those considered challenging. One of our central goals is to improve accessibility to justice, a commitment we uphold by representing every individual who seeks our guidance for their visa application.

At Australian Migration Lawyers, our team is comprised of certified Australian lawyers who possess knowledge in Australian laws and legal precedents, allowing us to provide valuable support for your visa application. We also offer guidance on alternative migration pathways and strategies when relevant. We ensure that all eligibility requirements are met and all relevant documentation is provided to increase the likelihood of a positive outcome. 

We are prepared to assist with any additional requests issued by the Department of Home Affairs, offering guidance from the initiation of the preparation process all the way through to its conclusion.

Parent Visa Requirements

The eligibility requirements for both applicants and sponsors depends on the type of visa you are applying for. Common criteria requirements that must be met by both applicants and sponsors include: 

  • Being over 18 years of age 
  • Be sponsored by an eligible sponsor 
  • Be a relative of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand Citizen 
  • Meet the health requirements 
  • Meet the character requirements

Costs involved

There are two main costs associated with family visas:

Professional fees 

Our fees will vary depending on the circumstances of your application. Some applications will be more complex than others and our fees will be quoted accordingly. We work on a fixed-fee basis rather than billing hourly to provide our clients with certainty about what the total costs associated with their visa application will be. We offer payment plans based on different financial needs to provide flexibility for our clients. 

Book a free consultation with one of our qualified lawyers to get a quote.

Department fees 

An application will attract fees from The Department of Home Affairs and may be paid in two installments which differs depending on the type of visa. Payment can be made using debit/credit card, PayPal, UnionPay and BPAY.


Different visas have different visa conditions attached to them. Common conditions attached to family visas include:  

  • Not to arrive before the specified person in the visa has entered Australia 
  • Not to marry or enter into a de facto relationship before entering Australia
  • Have and maintain private health insurance whilst in Australia.

Processing times

Processing times are based on the type of visa and can range from 6 months to 24 years due to the high demand for some visas and whether you are onshore or offshore at time of application and when the result is given. The processing duration is influenced by factors such as the intricacy of your case, the thoroughness of your application, and the workload being managed by the Department. At Australian Migration Lawyers, our objective is to submit meticulously crafted, comprehensive applications to minimize potential delays.

During our consultation, we delve into the latest details on processing times. Leveraging our knowledge, we offer a professional estimate tailored to your circumstances.

Meet your Australian Migration Lawyer

We’re a diverse team of professionals with decades of combined experience. We care about your situation and will make sure you always get the support and advice you need.

We support the LGBTIQ+ community across Australia

Nationwide support: Our locations across Australia

We offer professional migration advice and support, no matter where you are based. Those located in Australia have the choice of meeting with us at one of our offices or online, and for those offshore, we are available to you online.

Frequently asked questions

Who are considered as family members?

The nature of the relationship required to be eligible to apply for visas under this category are relatively broad and can include dependent relatives, dependent children and other family members. The eligibility of a family member will depend on the subclass that you are looking to apply for, as they are designed to suit different situations.

What is the difference between a family and parent visa?

Family visas can include a wider range of family members, whilst parent visas only apply to the parents of the sponsor.

How do I establish the relationship between my sponsor (relative) and I?

Birth certificates and other official documents will ordinarily be sufficient to prove a relationship between the applicant and sponsor. If such documents are not available, a DNA test may be requested by the Department of Home Affairs to establish that relations between the applicant and sponsor exist.

About the content author

Perry Q Wood
Partner - Principal Migration Lawyer

Perry Q Wood is National President of the Australian Institute of Administrative Law and one of Australia’s leading administrative and migration lawyers. To date, he has been involved in 1,000+ migration and refugee matters.

Claim your consultation

Tell us a little about your situation, and one of our migration lawyers will get back to you as soon as possible.

Powered by EngineRoom